Family Law, Divorce, and Child Custody

Q: My spouse has filed for divorce, what do I do?

A: After you get the papers, you have 30 days to file a written Answer with the District Court. The Answer must admit or deny each numbered paragraph of the Complaint. If you fail to respond your rights to alimony, property distribution, and debt payment may be waived.

Q: When will child support or alimony be ordered by the court?

A: The Court will only order child support or alimony once one of the parties has asked the court for an order and a Temporary Hearing has been held. If no enforceable court order is in place, then neither party is required to pay support.

Q: My spouse is asking for visitation, do I have to allow our child to go?

A:Although there is no court order in place which requires the child to have visitation, the Court considers what is in the child’s “best interest” in ordering visitation. Therefore, unless the child is in immediate danger, it is best to allow some form of visitation prior to a Court Hearing.

Q: How do I keep paying the bills after my spouse has moved out?

A: There is no good solution to supporting two households on the same income. Once again, without a Court Order neither party will be required to continue paying the debt. Additionally, all creditors see debt incurred during the marriage as joint debt and will continue to hold both parties responsible.

Although you can do it on your own, in order to ensure that your rights are protected, you will probably need a lawyer to help you with your case!

Downloadable Resources

Contact us today for your FREE ½ hour in-office consultation with the lawyers of Stamm Romero & Associates PC, LLO located in Kearney by appointment. We accept all credit cards, including Discover and AmEx.

Back To Top